The state’s transportation system helps to move people and goods around and through the state. The aim of this primer is to provide policymakers and the public with key information about this system. The primer begins with a chapter describing transportation governance. The subsequent five chapters consist of visual charts that provide information about the following:
- Driving. Provides information on drivers, vehicles, state highways, and local streets and roads.
- Mass Transportation. Describes modes of transportation that move large numbers of people at once, such as transit and commercial aviation.
- Active Transportation. Provides information on bicycling and walking trips.
- Freight Movement. Discusses the movement of goods through air travel, rail, seaports, and highways and roads.
- Funding. Describes the revenue sources supporting California’s transportation programs and infrastructure.