Bargaining Unit Profiles
Over 200,000 people work for a State of California department or agency (other than a university). More than 80% of these employees are represented by one of the state’s 21 bargaining units in the collective bargaining process. The rest are excluded from the collective bargaining because they are managers, supervisors, or employees who assist management develop employee compensation policies. Below, we describe the types of employees in the state’s 21 bargaining units.
- Bargaining Unit 10: Professional Scientific
- Union: California Association of Professional Scientists (CAPS)
- Percentage of Workforce: 1.3%
- Number of Positions: 2,833
- Profile: Employees represented by Unit 10 are professional scientists who work in many state departments. More than one-half of these employees work for either the Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Department of Public Health, the Department of Water Resources, or the Water Resources Control Board. Among the largest classifications are environmental scientist, integrated waste management specialist, and hazardous substance scientist.
The content on this webpage reflects the information available to our office at the time it was published. It is periodically updated as new information becomes available.